Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Kick off #hashtag

This time when I go back to high school, I'm going to be one of the cool kids. Ok, probably not.

Student teaching has officially begun. Through a quirk in the placement process, I ended up being placed as a teaching intern at the high school from which I graduated. Back in high school, I kept a blog. It just wasn't called a blog yet. The first recorded use of the word blog was in 1999. According to the people at Merriam and Webster, the word existed, but from my experience, the word blog had not reached the place of universality that it now occupies. I was blogging way before it was cool to blog.

My blog was mostly a journal about my life mixed in with my expert coverage of the NHL. Originally, I started copying over the old posts. Eventually, someone talked me into saving them. I have a complete record of my ramblings for three years, including the second half of my senior year of high school. In the August after I graduated, I went back to visit my high school. I wrote about it on August 22:
...Walking around the halls felt a little funny. Everyone seems so small, so young. I'm a couple of months older than a lot of the people there, but it feels like there is a big difference. They fixed the main entrance of the school [part of the school was renovated my senior year]. I sneaked in via a side door to avoid the authorities, so I only saw it as I looked down the hall. The rest of the school remains its ugly self. Although I enjoyed high school, I don't think that I'm going to miss the brown (formerly orange) lockers or the heating system that only worked during the summer...
I was going to write about how I feel awkward walking around the halls of the high school I attended so many years ago. Then I realized, wait a second, I feel awkward walking around [insert the name of any location here]. When I left high school, I wrote about starting the next paragraph in my life. While the idea of my life as a manuscript might work, I think a math analogy might now be more appropriate. The circle is now complete. When I left high school I was but the learner, but now I'm working on a master's.

No comments:

Post a Comment