Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Analogies #hashtag

Christmas : Thanksgiving :: Nazi Germany : Czechoslovakia

This post makes me feel sad. It's really funny, but no one will ever read it. The great thing about the internet is that there is a low barrier to entry. At least in the developed work, almost anyone can get online and publish something. The downside is there is so much noise. Most of what I write is just noise, too. It's my venting of frustration, repeating something that someone has already said more clearly and concisely than I have, a hastily scribbled assignment or just me reposting cartoons. Still, today I felt like I had something really funny that I could share with the world, but it will be lost among the millions of blog posts, tweets and status updates that are being uploaded at this very nanosecond. So, yet again, the internet makes it easier for us to speak, but harder for us to hear.

Aside: Originally, the end of the analogy was Poland instead of Czechoslovakia. I thought that the analogy was a better fit with Czechoslovakia. With Poland, the invasion was quick and dramatic whereas Czechoslovakia was slowly annexed (first with the Sudetenland and then with the rest of the country). That better describes the slowly devouring growth that Christmas has become.

No comments:

Post a Comment