Friday, August 23, 2013

My first magic trick #hashtag

Science!
I discovered this magic trick and thought it would make a good science demonstration. There is a screen mesh covering the mouth of the water bottle. When I flip the bottle upside down, only a portion of the water drips out before it stops. I have been able to hold the water bottle upside down without it leaking for as long as my attention span has lasted.

Why does this happen?

I'm not entirely sure. I know it has to do with the surface tension of water and the low pressure area that forms in the "top" of the water bottle, but I am not sure which is more important.


Things that would be interesting to explore:
  • What happens if we use a different sized screen mesh?
  • What happens if we used a bottle with a different sized opening?
  • What happens if we use a bigger bottle? (I've done the same trick with a 20oz bottle and it works just like in the video. I am still waiting to get an empty milk jug to try).
  • What happens if we use a liquid other than water? (Maybe I don't need to wait for an empty milk jug)
  • How much water drips out before the bottle stops leaking? Is it a certain percentage of the container or a fixed volume each time?
  • What happens if I fill the container all the way to the top and then flip it?
  • What is the least amount of water that I can put into the container and still get this trick to work?
  • Does the temperature of the water matter?
  • What would happen if I put a Mentos in the bottle and then repeated the experiment? (Funny stuff happens when you do things with Mentos)
  • Are there more appropriate charms from Harry Potter to talk about freezing and melting water? (Originally, I was going to use "Petrificus Totalus" to freeze the water and "Rennervate" to bring the water back to a liquid form, but I think these spells only work on living things. "Incendio" was as good as I could get for melting, although in real life that spell would have set the bottle on fire, not just melted frozen water) [Reason #11]
  • Does the wetness of the mesh play a role? If I put the screen on after filling up the water bottle, would I get the same results?
If you have any other thoughts, feel free to comment.
(This was another attempt to explore adding music and captions using Windows Movie Maker; the science was a byproduct).

No comments:

Post a Comment