Monday, December 30, 2013

Ignorance is Bliss #hashtag

This weekend while watching football, one the announcers talked about the team "matriculating down the field." I am not sure what he meant to say. Matriculate means to gain acceptance to a college or a university. I know what the word means because I got an e-mail talking about matriculation at U-M and I had no clue what the word meant; I had to look it up. It got me thinking about sort of ignorance is socially acceptable.

In some blog post, I have mentioned how people will brag about being bad at math. In a similar matter, we had a guest speaker brag about how he was completely ignorant of the basic rules of football, as if it was some sign of sophistication. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I have never heard anyone use the same tone to say that they "couldn't find Canada on a map" or "never managed to master tic-tac-toe." What is worth knowing? What sort of knowledge helps us interact and communicate with other people? Aside from math, what things ought people know?  




No comments:

Post a Comment