Monday, December 2, 2013

Just a few observations #hashtag

+ Much as with people, numbers can be are irrational, perfect, complex.
+ Consider 12+3-4+5+67+8+9 = 100 There exists at least one other representation of 100 with 9 digits in the right order and math operations in between.
I found this on this Pen.io page.

Given the dimensions of a grocery cart, you could probably fit 60 cantaloupes into it. However, it might be really heavy to push. I will have to do more data collection on the dimensions and weight of cantaloupes before I move into a more formal calculations. (See this previous post). I am working on this, and I wanted to update any of you who might be worried that I had forgotten this important problem.

The metal desk that I sit at is frozen. Similarly, the laptop sitting in front of me is frozen. It is funny to think of things that way. While the desk usually feels cold, my laptop is warm to the touch. Yet, it is still frozen. It was sort of mind-blowing when Chuck D. shared the observation about frozen desks with us during the summer. This must be how students feel when I tell them that if X is a negative number, then -X is positive. Also, the square root of a 1/4 is 1/2 and 1/2 is greater than 1/4 (Taking the square root of a number between 0 and 1 yields a number that is bigger than what you started with!). The edges of Koch's snowflake contains an infinite length within a finite area (Ok, that is probably too advanced).

On a related note, regarding things that might make my head explode, the semester is almost done. Wow.

Closing Quotes: 
"I have often been surprised, that Mathematics, the quintessence of Truth, should have found admirers so few..." - Samuel Taylor Collridge


"Whoever thinks a faultless piece to see, Thinks what ne'er was, nor is, nor e'er shall be." - Alexander Pope

"The investigation of the meaning of words is the beginning of education." -Antisthenes

No comments:

Post a Comment